Annexure 1 : Executive Committee Terms of Reference
Name of the Body
SAAACA (Gauteng) Executive Committee (Exco)
1 : Purpose or description
To manage the day-to-day running of the Association, in order to ensure the achievement of SAAACA (Gauteng) Mission and Purpose, as outlined in its Constitution, to the satisfaction of its members, and in compliance with prevailing Legislation and Regulation.
2 : Composition
- A minimum of four additional members
- The past Chairman (ex officio) until the new Chairman is elected.
- Co-opted members and approved Alternates
3 : Responsibilities and delegated authority
- Exco will represent the “legal persona” of the Association to the degree permitted in the Constitution for a given term.
- Exco members will not be held personally liable by any other member of the Association for anything done in accordance with the Constitution.
- Evaluation of the Mission and Constitution of the Association and preparation of any amendments for adoption at the AGM.
- Preparation of membership fees proposals for adoption at the AGM.
- Arrangement of the AGM, and such Special Meetings as may be called.
- Approval of the Annual Business Plan, which Business Plan shall outline how the aims and objectives of the Association will be promoted in a given term.
- Development and Preservation of the Membership base, in accordance with the Membership Committee’s Terms of Reference.
- Approval of the detail Annual Budget in line with the indicative budget approved at the AGM.
- Open and operate Bank Accounts on behalf of the Association.
- Represent the Association in any legal actions or representations involving affected legislation.
- Creation and appointment of members of the following sub-committees or portfolios as required:
- Monthly events
- Major events
- Website Development
- Sub delegation, without derogation of responsibility, of any of its functions to appropriate sub-committees where necessary
- Endorsement or approval of the decisions of sub committees where required
- Promote sound relations with all Stakeholders.
4 : Processes and Procedures
- Exco shall be elected at the AGM.
- Term of Reference of Exco shall be confirmed annually at the AGM.
- The past Chairman will continue to serve on Exco until a new Chairman is appointed.
- A vacancy in the Office of Chairman will be filled by the Secretary, until a General or Special meeting can be called.
- Other vacancies on Exco shall be filled by nominations by Exco for the remaining term.
- A Quorum shall be the majority of elected Exco or their Alternates.
- Exco will adopt a consensus seeking approach.
- Decisions not affecting the purpose or Constitution of the Association shall be approved by a simple majority.
- Decisions which may affect the Purpose, Credibility, or Constitution of the Association shall require a 75% vote, including that of the Chairman.
- Any Exco member may nominate another member to vote on his/her behalf, on a specific issue, provided such proxy is communicated to the Chairman or Secretary in writing beforehand.
- All circulated resolutions shall be consensus resolutions, except where a member is out of the country.
- The Chairman shall not have a casting vote.
- After due process, any deadlock or dispute shall be referred to a Special Meeting of Members for decision.
- Any sub-committee member may attend Exco meetings.
- A minimum of 6 Exco meetings shall be held in any term.
- Any Exco member may request a special Exco meeting, which request shall not unreasonably be denied.
- All Exco meetings shall be minuted.
Signed: CW (Chairman) BN (Secretary) October 2008